There are a few significant moments in the history of the WordPress project. January 2022 is one of them, with the release of WordPress 5.9! But that’s not all. Read on to learn more about the latest updates and achievements from the community.
WordPress 5.9 Joséphine is here
Meet WordPress 5.9 Joséphine. Named in honor of the acclaimed jazz singer, Joséphine Baker, this is one of the much-awaited releases. Version 5.9 brings full site editing to WordPress, among other exciting updates! Download WordPress 5.9 and try the new features!
Check out the WordPress 5.9 Field Guide to learn more. Lastly, everyone’s invited to participate in a retrospective of the WordPress 5.9 Joséphine release!
Are you interested in contributing to WordPress core? Join the #core channel, follow the Core Team blog, and check out the team handbook. Also, don’t miss the Core Team’s weekly developer chat on Wednesdays at 8 PM UTC.
Gutenberg releases: Versions 12.3, 12.4, and 12.5 are here
The Core Team launched three new versions of Gutenberg since last month’s edition of the Month in WordPress.
- Gutenberg 12.5 brings global styles variations and Query Loop block enhancements, along with the Code Editor view to the Side Editor. Moreover, inserting new buttons is now easier than ever!
- Gutenberg 12.4 was released on January 19, 2022. This version includes accessibility improvements, suggestions for assigning categories, keyboard shortcuts for the Site Editor, and more.
- Gutenberg 12.3 was released on January 5, 2022. This release brings new blocks, like the Author Name, Comments Next Page, and Comments Previous Page blocks, and many other cool updates!
Want to get involved in developing Gutenberg? Follow the Core Team blog, contribute to Gutenberg on GitHub, and join the #core-editor channel in the Make WordPress Slack. Follow the #gutenberg-new tag for details on the latest updates.
Team updates: Proposals, announcements, and more for 2022
Feedback/Testing requests: Share your thoughts on WordPress 5.9 Joséphine
Share your feedback on the release of WordPress 5.9 Joséphine.
- WordCamp Birmingham, Alabama has been postponed until spring.
- The WordPress Foundation published a post explaining more about the nonprofit’s mission and why it exists.
- Don’t miss the following upcoming WordCamps:
- 🇨🇿 WordCamp Prague, Switzerland on February 26, 2022 (online)
- 🇨🇭 WordCamp Genève, Switzerland on April 9, 2022 (in-person)
- 🇬🇷 WordCamp Athens, Greece between April 9 and 10, 2022 (in person)
- 🇦🇹 WordCamp Vienna, Austria from April 23 to 24, 2022 (in person)
- 🇪🇺 WordCamp Europe in Porto, Portugal from June 2 to 4, 2022 (in person)
- 🇺🇸 WordCamp US in San Diego, CA USA from September 9-11, 200 (in person)
Have a story that we could include in the next ‘Month in WordPress’ post? Let us know by filling out this form.
View original article here Source